Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
Opportunities for tax and non-tax oriented volunteers are available.
Additional volunteers are always needed!
Saturday Sites Hours of Operation
All Saturday sites serve clients on a first come, first served basis. Volunteers typically are at their site from 8:00am until 3:00pm or 4:00pm. Due to client numbers, the hours may be longer on the first two Saturdays.
Descriptions of Saturday Volunteer Roles
Volunteer positions requiring tax law certification:
- Reviewer – Perform on-screen review of the completed tax returns to ensure that client data and tax documents (W-2s; 1099s) are properly entered on the tax returns.
Prior tax preparation experience and a training class* on the TaxSlayer® Software System in January 2018 are required.
Please volunteer to work a minimum of 2 Saturdays.
- Interviewer/Data Entry – Interview client, record applicable tax information and input the information into tax software and complete the return.
Training class* on the TaxSlayer® Software System in January 2018 is required.
Please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 Saturdays.
*On the volunteer form, please indicate the date you will be attending training at UMSL-West County on the tax law and TaxSlayer® Software or if you will be attending one of the alternative BY INVITATION ONLY training sessions at Conner Ash PC or NISA.
Volunteer positions not requiring certification:
- Exit Interviewer – Review completed tax returns and filing instructions with the client. If the client has questions about the return, a certified tax preparer will review with the client. This position is suitable for experienced tax return preparers, but does not require certification.
- Administrative – Help with volunteer contact, keep attendance records, prepare name tags, etc. No training is required.
- Greeter – Welcome clients to the site. Sign them in and answer basic questions, as well as ascertain that they have all the necessary documents with them. On-site training is provided.
- Assembly – Organize client packets and assemble tax returns. Onsite training is provided.
- Interpreter – If you are fluent in a language other than English, especially Spanish, we need you to accompany the client through the process and to help them answer questions to determine their eligibility. Interpreters are especially needed at the St. Mary’s High School and St. Charles sites.
- Food Preparation – Our volunteers need to eat and this is a very important job. It may require purchasing/ordering supplies and food, picking them up from the grocery store, and preparing the food/drinks for lunch. For some sites, this position may also include setting up coffee and breakfast snacks for clients.
Volunteer Roles at Weekday Sites
Both reviewers and interviewer/data entry volunteers are needed at each weekday site. These also must attend the January training class to become certified in the tax law and should be able to volunteer at least 4 weeks.
Each weekday site also needs greeters and return assemblers. These volunteers do not need to attend the training classes to become certified in the tax law. Training for the roles will be provided at the respective sites.
The duties of these roles are more completely described above at Description of Saturday only Volunteer Roles.
The following are Weekday sites along with their hours of operation and contacts:
St. Charles — Kisker Road Library 1000 Kisker Road, St. Charles, MO 63304
- Tax season hours of operation from January 22 through April 16
- Monday 12:30 to 4:30pm
- Friday 9:30am to 3:30pm
- Volunteers may sign up for either or both days.
- Fill out the Volunteer Application
For additional information, please contact Joan at 636-696-2296
Overland — Overland Community Center 9225 Lackland Rd. St. Louis, MO 63114
Tax season hours of operation from January 24 through April 11 Wednesday 10:00am to 2:00pm
- Wednesday 4:00pm to 8:00pm
- Volunteers may sign up for either or both sessions
- Fill out the Volunteer Application
For additional information, please contact Bev at 314-786-2782
South St. Louis—Thomas Dunn Learning Center 3113 Gasconade St. Louis 63118
Tax season hours of operation from January 24 through April 11
- Wednesdays from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- Volunteers my sign up for a partial session
- Fill out Volunteer Application
For additional information, contact Bill at 314-609-4156
Required Tax Law Certification Training for Reviewers & Interview/Data Entry Volunteers
Training on the tax law and on the TaxSlayer® Software System will be held at UM-St. Louis West County Microcomputer Center, located at 12837 Flushing Meadows Drive, St. Louis, MO 63131, near Manchester Road and Interstate 270.
Training is limited to 175 volunteers and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Parking is in the rear of the Center’s building.
Click here to download a PDF version of the map.