Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
Opportunities for tax and non-tax oriented volunteers are available.
Additional volunteers are always needed!
Please email us at email@example.com to request an application and we will send you by return email and thank you for your interest.
Saturday Sites Hours of Operation
All Saturday sites serve clients on a first come, first served basis. Volunteers typically are at their site from 8:00am until 3:00pm or 4:00pm. Due to client numbers, the hours may be longer on the first two Saturdays.
Descriptions of Saturday Volunteer Roles
Volunteer positions requiring tax law certification and software training in January 2019:
- Intake Interviewer – Assists clients in completing the intake form; interview them to ensure the intake form is completed accurately to allow us to prepare the returns. Once the review of the tax preparation documents is complete, the Intake Interviewer transfers the client’s paperwork to a Tax Preparer. As an Intake Interviewer, please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 Saturdays.
- Tax Preparer – Works one-on-one with individuals and families using the intake form along with the documents provided by the client to prepare accurate returns. As a Tax Preparer, please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 Saturdays.
- Quality Reviewer – Reviews tax returns completed by volunteer Tax Preparers to ensure every client receives top quality service and that the prepared returns are error-free. You must be tax law certified at least at the Advanced Level. As a Quality Reviewer, please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 Saturdays. Prior tax preparation experience is required.
*On the volunteer form, please indicate the date you will be attending training at UMSL-West County on the tax law and TaxSlayer® Software or if you will be attending one of the alternative BY INVITATION ONLY training sessions at Conner Ash PC.
Volunteer positions not requiring certification:
- Greeter – Welcomes clients and assists them by orienting them to the process by providing them intake forms and ensuring that they, the client, possesses all the documents necessary to allow us to prepare the returns.
- Interpreter – If you are fluent in a language other than English, especially Spanish, we need you to accompany the client through the process and to help them answer questions to determine their eligibility. Interpreters are especially needed at the St. Mary’s High School and St. Charles sites.
- Assembly – Organizes client packets and assemble tax returns. Onsite training is provided.
- Exit Interviewer – Reviews completed tax returns and filing instructions with the client. If the client has questions about the return, a certified volunteer Tax Preparer will discuss any issues with the client. This position is suitable for experienced tax return preparers, but does not require certification.
- Food Preparation – Our volunteers need to eat and this is a very important job. It may require purchasing/ordering supplies and food, picking them up from the grocery store, and preparing the food/drinks for lunch. For some sites, this position may also include setting up coffee and breakfast snacks for clients.
- Administrative – Help with volunteer contact, keep attendance records, prepare name tags, etc. No training is required.
Volunteer Roles at Weekday Sites
Both Quality Reviewers and Interviewer/Preparers are needed at each weekday site. These also must attend the January training class to become certified in the tax law and should be able to volunteer at least 3 weeks.
Each weekday site also needs greeters and return assemblers. These volunteers do not need to attend the training classes to become certified in the tax law. Training for the roles will be provided at the respective sites.
The duties of these roles are more completely described above at Description of Saturday only Volunteer Roles.
The following are Weekday sites along with their hours of operation and contacts:
St. Charles — Kisker Road Library 1000 Kisker Road, St. Charles, MO 63304
- Tax season volunteer hours of operation from January 25 through April 15
- Monday 12:30 to 4:30pm
- Friday 9:30am to 3:30pm
- Volunteers may sign up for either or both days
For additional information, please contact Joan at 636-696-2296
Overland — Overland Community Center 9225 Lackland Rd. St. Louis, MO 63114
- Tax season volunteer hours of operation from January 23 through April 10 (Closed February 13)
- Wednesdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm and again from 4:00pm to 5:00pm
- Volunteers may sign up for either or both sessions
For additional information, please contact Bev at 314-786-2782
South St. Louis—Thomas Dunn Learning Center 3113 Gasconade St. Louis 63118
- Tax season volunteer hours of operation from January 23 through April 10
- Wednesdays from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Volunteers my sign up for a partial session
For additional information, contact Bill at 314-609-4156
Required Tax Law Certification Training for Intake Interviewers, Tax Preparers and Quality Reviewers
Training on the tax law and on the TaxSlayer® Software System will be held at UM-St. Louis West County Microcomputer Center, located at 12837 Flushing Meadows Drive, St. Louis, MO 63131, near Manchester Road and Interstate 270.
Training is limited to 175 volunteers and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Parking is in the rear of the Center’s building.
Click here to download a PDF version of the map.