Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
Opportunities for tax and non-tax oriented volunteers are available.
Additional volunteers are always needed!
Sign up to volunteer:
Descriptions of Volunteer Roles
Volunteer positions requiring tax law certification and software training in January 2021:
- Intake Interviewer – Assists clients in completing the intake form; interview them to ensure the intake form is completed accurately to allow us to prepare the returns. Once the review of the tax preparation documents is complete, the Intake Interviewer transfers the client’s paperwork to a Tax Preparer. As an Intake Interviewer, please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 days.
- Tax Preparer – Works one-on-one with individuals and families using the intake form along with the documents provided by the client to prepare accurate returns. As a Tax Preparer, please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 days.
- Quality Reviewer – Reviews tax returns completed by volunteer Tax Preparers to ensure every client receives top quality service and that the prepared returns are error-free. You must be tax law certified at least at the Advanced Level. As a Quality Reviewer, please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 days. Prior tax preparation experience is required.
Volunteer positions not requiring certification:
- Greeter – Welcomes clients and performs the health screening. The Greeter then assists by orienting the client to the process by providing them intake forms and ensuring that the client possesses all the documents necessary to allow us to prepare the returns.
- Assembly – Organizes client packets and assemble tax returns. Onsite training is provided.
- Exit Interviewer – Reviews completed tax returns and filing instructions with the client. If the client has questions about the return, a certified volunteer Tax Preparer will discuss any issues with the client. This position is suitable for experienced tax return preparers, but does not require certification.
Required Tax Law Certification Training for Intake Interviewers, Tax Preparers and Quality Reviewers
Training on the tax law and on the TaxSlayer® Software System will be primarily self-study via Link & Learn on the irs.gov website. We will send you instructions about using the online tool and taking the required tests. We will supplement Link & Learn with videos on Missouri tax issues and site procedures.
First-time volunteers may sign up for in-person masked and socially distant training. This training will be conducted on Saturday, January 16 and Saturday, January 23 (need only attend one) at the offices of Conner Ash P.C. CPAs, 12101 Woodcrest Executive Dr., Suite 300, St. Louis, Mo 63141. (The northwest corner of Olive & I-270 near Kohls).
Saturday Sites Hours of Operation
All Saturday sites serve clients by appointment only from January 30 through March 6. Volunteers typically are at their site from 8:00am until 3:00pm or 4:00pm.
The following are Weekday sites along with their hours of operation and contacts:
St. Charles — Kisker Road Library 1000 Kisker Road, St. Charles, MO 63304
- Tax season volunteer hours of operation from January 25 through April 30
- Monday 11:00 to 5:00pm
- Friday 10:00am to 4:00pm
- Volunteers may sign up for either or both days
- Volunteers are needed for both days
- Client appointments ONLY on Mondays
- Tax Return preparation ONLY on Fridays (No client appointments)
For additional information, please contact John at 636-698-8908
Overland — Overland Community Center 9225 Lackland Rd. St. Louis, MO 63114
- Tax season volunteer hours of operation, Wednesdays, from January 20 through April 14. Closed February 10, but open Tuesday, February 9.
- Hours: 8:00am to 1:00pm and again from 4:00pm to 6:00pm
- Volunteers may sign up for either or both sessions
For additional information, please contact Bev at 314-786-2782
South St. Louis — Thomas Dunn Learning Center 3113 Gasconade St. Louis 63118
- Tax season volunteer hours of operation from January 20 through April 14
- Wednesdays from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Volunteers may sign up for a partial session
For additional information, contact Bill at 314-609-4156