Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
Opportunities for tax and non-tax oriented volunteers are available.
are always needed!
Descriptions of Saturday only Volunteer Roles
Volunteer positions requiring tax law certification:
- Reviewer – Perform on-screen review of the completed tax returns to ensure that client data and tax documents (W-2s; 1099s) are properly entered on the tax returns.
Prior tax preparation experience and a training class* on the TaxSlayer® Software System in January 2018 are required.
Please volunteer to work a minimum of 2 Saturdays.
- Interviewer/Data Entry – Interview client, record applicable tax information and input the information into tax software and complete the return.
Training class* on the TaxSlayer® Software System in January 2018 is required.
Please volunteer to work a minimum of 3 Saturdays.
*On the volunteer form, please indicate the date you will be attending training at UMSL-West County on the tax law and TaxSlayer® Software.
Volunteer positions not requiring certification:
- Exit Interviewer – Review completed tax returns and filing instructions with the client. If the client has questions about the return, a certified tax preparer will review with the client. This position is suitable for experienced tax return preparers, but does not require certification.
- Administrative – Help with volunteer contact, keep attendance records, prepare name tags, etc. No training is required.
- Greeter – Welcome clients to the site. Sign them in and answer basic questions, as well as ascertain that they have all the necessary documents with them. On-site training is provided.
- Assembly – Organize client packets and assemble tax returns. Onsite training is provided.
- Interpreter – If you are fluent in a language other than English, especially Spanish, we need you to accompany the client through the process and to help them answer questions to determine their eligibility. Interpreters are especially needed at the St. Mary’s High School and St. Charles sites.
- Food Preparation – Our volunteers need to eat and this is a very important job. It may require purchasing/ordering supplies and food, picking them up from the grocery store, and preparing the food/drinks for lunch. For some sites, this position may also include setting up coffee and breakfast snacks for clients.
Description of the St. Charles Tax Clinic:
Monday and Friday Volunteer Roles
Help is needed on Mondays and Fridays during tax season from the week of January 22 through April 13. Clients are seen by appointment ONLY on Mondays from 12:30pm – 3:30pm and on Fridays between 9:30am – 2:30pm.
The Clinic is located at the Kisker Road Library, 1000 Kisker Rd., MO 63304. Tax preparers must complete the training described above in Interviewer/Data Entry.
If you wish to help with the clinic, please call Joan Schneider at (636) 696-2296. Please (also) complete the Volunteer Application.
Description of the Overland Tax Clinic:
– Wednesday Volunteer Roles –
You may volunteer for the Morning, Afternoon/Evening, or both tax return preparation sessions. The Morning session will be from 10:00am to 1:00pm; the Afternoon/Evening session will begin at 4:oopm and continue until 7:00pm. We will begin preparing returns on January 24th and continue through April 11, 2018. Clients will be seen only by appointment. The Overland Clinic is located in the City of Overland Community Center at 9225 Lackland Rd, Overland, MO 63114. Tax preparers must complete the training described above in, “Interviewer/Data Entry.” If you wish to help with the Overland Clinic, please complete the Volunteer Application and contact Beverly Phillip at (314) 786-2782.
Description of the South St. Louis Tax Clinic:
You may volunteer for the Afternoon/Evening tax return preparation sessions. The Afternoon/Evening session will begin at 1:00pm and continue until 7:00pm. We will begin preparing returns on January 24th and continue through April 11, 2018. Clients will be seen only by appointment. The Thomas Dunn Learning Center is located in the City of St. Louis at 3113 Gasconade Street, St. Louis, MO 63118. Tax preparers must complete the training described above in “Interviewer/Data Entry.” If you wish to help with the Thomas Dunn Learning Clinic, please complete the Volunteer Application.
Training on the TaxSlayer® Software System will be held at UM-St. Louis West County Microcomputer Center, located at 12837 Flushing Meadows Drive, St. Louis, MO 63131, near Manchester Road and Interstate 270.
Training is limited to 175 volunteers and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Parking is in the rear of the Center’s building.
Click here to download a PDF version of the map.